The Young Researcher Award of the “Société de Biomécanique” rewards with €1,000 a young researcher whose work quality and originality are recognized at the international level. The research field can be fundamental or applied, but should be in line with the research themes of the “Société de Biomécanique”.
The winner undertakes to participate in the next congress of the “Société de Biomécanique” to present his or her work and receive the award at the gala evening. He/she also undertakes to submit a paper as first or last author on the research topic of his/her choice to the Journal of Biomechanics or Clinical Biomechanics within one year of receiving the award. This submission will follow the normal evaluation procedure of the journal concerned. If the submitted paper is accepted, it will be presented in the journal as the winner of the Young Investigator Award of the “Société de Biomécanique”.
The award is open to all members of the “Société de Biomécanique” who defended their PhD thesis between two and ten years before the next annual congress of the “Société de Biomécanique”.
New rules for 2021
The criteria for submission, selection and awarding of this prize, which exists since 1986, were redefined as of the 2019 congress of the “Société de Biomécanique”, and further simplified in 2020. From 2021 onwards, the prize will be awarded solely on the basis of a application submitted by the candidates. The application summarizes the research and teaching activity carried out, as well as the perspectives. As the evaluation of the application is weighted by the number of years after the PhD, the candidate may mention in his/her motivation letter a significant career interruption (e.g. parental leave) after the defence of their PhD thesis, indicating the dates of the career interruption.
The application must be sent by email to
The application file must contain the following elements in a single pdf document.
- A (short) letter of motivation from the candidate (max. 1 page)
- A description (max. 2 pages) of research (summary of work/projects, background, objectives, methodology, results achieved/expected, importance/impact, originality and innovation, collaboration and interdisciplinarity, perspectives) and teaching (synthesis of courses given, discipline/theme, level, number of hours, type, animation of teaching, training and diploma, perspectives).
- A CV (max. 2 pages)
- A list of scientific production (articles, conferences, book chapters, books, patents, ...)
- The copy of the first or last author's article, written after the PhD
- A proof of payment of the SB membership fee
Dead line for application: April 15
Result of selection: same date as conference abstracts
Baptiste Sandoz, President of the Young Researcher Award Committee